ON TARGET: Striker Amar Purewal fires West into the lead against Plymouth Parkway in the FA Vase tie on Saturday Pic: Andy Mitchell
ON TARGET: Striker Amar Purewal fires West into the lead against Plymouth Parkway in the FA Vase tie on Saturday Pic: Andy Mitchell

FA Vase

Plymouth Parkway......... 2

West Auckland Town...... 1

WEST returned from the long trip to the south coast empty handed after the hosts fought back from a goal behind to claim a spot in the last eight of this year's FA Vase.

A crowd of 671 – which included a smattering of hardy West supporters who had made their way down – almost saw the hosts take the lead straight from the kick-off, but keeper Tom Flynn reacted quickly to grasp a deflected cross.

Parkway continued to have the better of the opening exchanges, with Flynn the busier of the two keepers.

However, it was West who took the lead on 31 minutes when Alex Francis played Amar Purewal through and the striker fired a low shot into the bottom corner, giving home keeper Kyle Moore no chance.

Parkway continued to press for an equaliser and the game changer came right on the stroke of half time.

A free kick from the left caused confusion in the West six yard area and it was Rob Fakins who reacted quickest to stab the ball home and level the scores as the teams went in for the break.

Buoyed by the goal, Parkway forced another good save from Flynn, who tipped over a close range header and then parried a shot by home skipper Shane Krac.

Then on 53 minutes Parkway were awarded a penalty for handball, but Adam Carter blasted over.

Ten minutes later came the goal which decided the match – with Carter supplying the touch which set up Billy Palfrey, who made no mistake from six yards out.

Rees Greenwood and David Dowson were introduced as West tried to find an equaliser but Parkway saw out the five minutes of added on time to celebrate the win and go into this week’s draw as new favourites for the trophy.

West Auckland: Flynn, Harwood (Dowson, 63), Price, Cobain, Mitton, Dodds, Hegarty (Greenwood 83), Mitchell, Purewal, Francis, Bell. Subs not used: Spooner, Connor, Bell.

Crook and District League

A FORGETTABLE first half condemned Bowes FC to defeat in the semi-final of the Durham Minor Cup at Tens Field on Saturday.

Opponents Middlestone Moor MA fired in three unanswered goals during the opening 45 minutes, which left Bowes too much to do after the break. The half time lead was no more than Moor deserved as they were by far the sharper and more physical of the two sides and quicker to the tackle and for most of the half Rod Dixon and Callum Teasdale cut frustrated figures up front for the hosts.

The second half saw a much improved showing from Bowes, and the game could have taken a different turn had Tom Merryweather converted a penalty after he was fouled.

Unfortunately, his spot kick rattled the post – and summed up Bowes' fortunes with a number of other decent openings just lacking the finishing touch.

Dixon eventually pulled one back, but it is Moor who progress to the final to take on Hebburn Town U23s.

Elsewhere, Evenwood Town were handed a 5-0 defeat by division one leaders Willington WMC.

Wear Valley Sunday League

IN the only two games which survived the weather, Gainford lost 3-1 at home to Slaters Arms in the Darlington Charity Cup, David Vayro scoring for the hosts, and BA Bay Horse ran out 7-1 against Coundon in the second division.