AT THE DOUBLE: Gainford’s Craig Edwards bagged a couple of goals on Sunday
AT THE DOUBLE: Gainford’s Craig Edwards bagged a couple of goals on Sunday

Crook and District Football League

AFTER a lay-off due to bad weather, Glaxo Rangers were back in action on Saturday with a trip to Willington WMC, who sit one place above the dale side in the division one table.

The home side started the better and with the wind at their backs and a low sun shinning into the Rangers players’ faces, the defence was asked some serious questions.

Gradually, Rangers started to get a foothold in the game and played some good football but lacked a decent final ball.

Willington, meanwhile, used the wind to pump long balls over the top. However, Matty Wheeler in goal and the centre half pairing of Joe Lee and Bobby Lumsdon coped well to see out a goalless first half.

Willington took the lead through Paul White on 55 minutes, but Glaxo hit back, creating several good chances.

Adam Lee Shield hit the post, Billy Hutchinson had a shot saved and Jonny Foster went close direct from a corner.

And with time running out, it was Foster who salvaged a point straight from a another corner. Man of the match was Jamie McDougall.

Bowes FC moved level on points with leaders Middlestone Moor after a 4-2 win against the Masons Arms.

Bowes went one down through Aaron Jackson, but swiftly turned things round to lead 3-1.

Masons pulled one back and Bowes were reduced to ten men, but eventually claimed the points thanks to goals from Gabriel Radu (2), Jordan Robson and Rob Dixon.

There was no luck for Evenwood in the Alan Britton Cup, with the dale side losing 7-0 at Shildon Railway.

Wear Valley Sunday League

BOWES FC’s Sunday outfit travelled to Middlestone Moor the morning after the clubs’ Saturday teams did battle.

This time, it was honours even in a 2-2 draw, Callum Tallentire and Rob Dominick earning their side a point.

Bowes now sit solidly in mid-table. The team very much to watch in the first division are Witton Park who are currently third.

However, they have only played eight league matches, winning them all, and have six games in hand on leaders West Auckland The Club, who put seven past Willington Queen’s Head. Connor Lowes hit three and others came from Stephen Hartley, Mark Gallagher, Anthony Lee and Gareth McMahon.

In the second division, Toft Hill kept the pressure on leaders Newton Aycliffe Big Club with a 3-1 win at home to Bishop Bay Horse.

Anthony Bowes, Nigel Beckley and Allan Jones were the scorers for Toft Hill.

Big Club maintained their advantage thanks to a 4-2 win at home to Staindrop.

Ben Goodfellow bagged both Staindrop goals, but the leaders were just too strong on the day.

Gainford moved to within three points of Staindrop after running riot against bottom club BA Snooker.

The game was effectively over in the first quarter of an hour as Gainford raced into a 3-0 lead early.

The pick of the goals was probably their first, the result of a fine passing move which allowed Alan Haycock to simply side-foot the ball deftly to the keeper's right and into the corner of the net.

Haycock went on to complete his hat-trick. Fellow striker Craig Edwards scored twice, as did Shane Walker and the scoring was completed by Ben Moore.

Other results

Division 1: Coundon MA 5, Shildon Elm Road 5.

Division 2: BH Blues 4, Kirk Merrington Half Moon 1; NA Sports 2, North Bitchburn Red Lion 1; Wearhead United 2, NA Gretna 2.

Darlington Charity Cup: Witton Park 10, West Auckland Tunns 0; Spennymoor Ash Tree 1, BA Pavilion 6.