NO WAY PAST: Evenwood keeper Mark Tyrie at full stretch to keep out this free kick
NO WAY PAST: Evenwood keeper Mark Tyrie at full stretch to keep out this free kick

Crook and District League

A SECOND half capitulation ended Evenwood Town’s hopes of making it to the final of the Colin Waites Cup.

Second division leaders Stanhope SSC were the visitors to the Randolph Social Welfare ground for the semi-final encounter.

The game started at a furious pace.

However, the hosts found it difficult to channel that energy positively, which resulted in a raft of fouls and a couple of early bookings, one needlessly for a bit of back chat to the referee.

For much of the first half, Stanhope, playing up the bank, held sway, creating a number of decent chances.

On at least two occasions, Evenwood were thankful for the efforts of Mark Tyrie in goal to maintain parity.

Evenwood were far too content to simply lump the ball over the top in the hope that Scott Duggan could create havoc among the Stanhope centre backs.

When Evenwood did eventually get the ball down and pass of wide, they did start to get into the game, so much so that as half time approached, they created a couple of good chances of their own.

However, that was as good as it got, because in the second half, it was one way traffic for Stanhope.

Jake Henderson scored twice, once from the penalty spot, with two more coming from James Gristwood and Charlie Sanderson to make the final score 4-0 to the visitors.

They will play either Ferryhill or Bishop Pavilion in the final on Easter Monday.

In the league, Glaxo Rangers faced a difficult trip to Shildon Railway and it was the hosts who took the points.

Maughan Claydon with two and a third from Tom Morgan completed a comfortable victory.

After a free weekend, Bowes FC will be hoping to secure a place in the final of the Norman Wright Memorial Trophy this coming Saturday when they host Darlington Travellers Rest at Tens Field (kick-off 1.30pm).

Wear Valley Sunday League

BOWES FC are back up to fourth after coming home with all three points from Cockfield where the hosts were West Auckland Tunns.

Strikers Tommy Hutchinson (2) and Callum Tallentire helped their side to a 3-0 win.

While BA Sports Bar head division one, the title favourites are probably Witton Park.

Although nine points back in third place, they have seven games in hand over Sports Bar with another nine league games remaining.

In the second division, Toft Hill remain two points in the lead with three games in hand of second placed Newton Aycliffe Big Club despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Bay Horse Blues.

Michael Barker was on target for Toft Hill.

A hat-trick from striker Craig Edwards, who is enjoying a stellar first season in the league with Gainford helped his side to a 3-1 win at BA Bay Horse.

Staindrop, meanwhile hit nine against basement club BA Snooker. There was a hat-trick for Ben Goodfellow, two for James Beauchamp and one apiece for Kieran Linton, Adam Goodfellow, Joe Saunders and Robert Bell.

Craig Hopps scored a consolation for BA Snooker.

West Auckland The Club secured a place in the League Cup final thanks to a 3-1 win against Witton Park. Connor Lowes bagged a hat-trick.

Other results:

Division 2: Kirk Merrington Half Moon 2, Darlington RA 2; Wearhead 3, Newton Aycliffe Sports 1; NA Gretna 1, NA Big Club 3.

Heart Foundation Cup semi-final: Burnside WMC 3, Middlestone Moor MA 3. Burnside won 4-2 on penalties.