ON FORM: Callum Tallentire continued his good new year form with two goals for Bowes on Saturday
ON FORM: Callum Tallentire continued his good new year form with two goals for Bowes on Saturday

Crook and District League

THERE was cup joy for two dale sides on Saturday – and penalty shoot-out heartbreak for a third.

Bowes reached the semi-final of the Weardale Cup with a 6-2 win at Wolsingham.

The hosts took the lead, but Bowes stormed back to win comfortably. Callum Tallentire continued his good January form with two goals and the others were scored by Tommy Hutchinson, Rob Dixon, Callum Teasdale and Josh Bousfield.

Evenwood Town, already assured of a semi-final place in the Colin Waites Cup, earned themselves a home tie after defeating Bishop Pavilion 4-3.

In a see-saw game, Evenwood led 3-1 at one stage before being pegged back to 3-3 before Stuart Mounsey won it in the last minute with a well taken free kick.

Evenwood’s other scorers were Chis Howe, Nigel Beckley and Ashley Murphy.

In the Alan Britton Memorial Trophy, Glaxo Rangers headed to Darlington Travellers Rest for a quarter-final tie.

Rangers were almost back to full strength and started on the front foot as forwards Billy Hutchinson and Adam Lee Shield caused all sorts of problems for the home side’s defence.

However, on 20 minutes Colin Welsh contested a seemingly straightforward 50/50 challenge which the referee deemed to be worth of a red card.

Down to ten, Glaxo regrouped and remained the better side, taking the lead when Joe Lee played a 40 yard pass to Adam Lee Shield who rounded the keeper and slotted home.

In the second half, Glaxo had chances to extend the lead, but were pegged back with 15 minutes to go when a deflected cross gave keeper Matty Wheeler no chance.

Rangers held on until the final whistle and then it was straight to penalties. Unfortunately, Glaxo went out 3-2.

The home side awarded man-of-the-match to Jake Sowersby, who, like every player in the squad, worked extremely hard. Joe Lee who will share this award as he put in an outstanding performance.

Rangers now have four games in which to save their season and stay in the top flight, but with players coming back to full fitness the team can approach the task with confidence.

Wear Valley Sunday League

TOFT Hill Three Tuns lost in the league for the first time this season with a 3-1 reverse away to Bishop Bay Horse on Sunday.

The team now sits second in the second division, two points behind Newton Aycliffe Big Club – although the dale side has five games in hand on the leaders.

Alan Jones scored Toft Hill’s consolation, which sees Bay Horse draw level on 40 points, although they too have played five games more.

Staindrop followed up last week's draw at Toft Hill with a 3-2 win on the road at Newton Aycliffe Sports Club.

Goals from Robert Bell, Sam Hicks and Scott Stainsby lift Staindrop into fourth place in the division two table.

Gainford Cross Keys lost out in a five-goal thriller at Kirk Merrington Half Moon.

Striker Craig Edwards scored twice, taking his tally to 21 in his first season at Gainford.

Bowes were in League Cup quarter final action, but it was a disappointing morning as Bishop Juniors Pavilion ran out 3-1 winners despite Rob Dominick's strike.

Other results

Division One: Willington Queen's Head 5, Coundon Miners Arms 4; Shildon Elm Road 0, Witton Park 5.

Division Two: Bishop Blues 6, Wearhead United 0; Newton Aycliffe Big Club 1, Newton Aycliffe Gretna 0; North Bitchburn Red Lion 1, Darlington RA 3; Spennymoor Ash Tree 4, Bishop Snooker Club 4.

Tom Waggott League Cup quarter final: West Auckland The Club 3 (Connor Lowes 2, Tony Callaghan), Bishop Sports Bar 0.

Darlington Charity Cup first round: Middlestone Moor Masons Arms 3, West Auckland Tunns 4 (Mark Parvin 2, Dale Dunn, Luke McGill).