HONOURS EVEN: Evenwood Town’s Chris Howe wheels away in celebration after levelling the score 2-2 in the game against Wolsingham on Saturday
HONOURS EVEN: Evenwood Town’s Chris Howe wheels away in celebration after levelling the score 2-2 in the game against Wolsingham on Saturday

Crook and District League

EVENWOOD Town twice came from behind to record a 4-3 win in an entertaining match at home to Wolsingham.

Scott Duggan gave the hosts an early lead with a well struck shot from just inside the 18 yard area.

However, Wolsingham hit back with two goals – the second of which would have graced any pitch. Slick passing, a good cross from the right and a good finish gave the visitors the lead.

But back came Evenwood with Chris Howe nipping in to flick the ball past the advancing Wolsingham keeper to ensure parity at half time.

Wolsingham took the lead after the break when the Evenwood defence failed to clear, but Howe, with his second, and Dean Minikin secured the points for Evenwood.

Despite the win, Evenwood slip to second on goal difference after Stanhope’s 4-2 win at Darlington GSOB.

This Saturday, Evenwood welcome Bishop Auckland Pavilion to the Randolph Social Welfare ground.

In the first division, Glaxo were down to just 13 fit players for the visit of Willington WMC, but dominated the early exchanges before eventually scoring from the penalty spot after man-of-the-match Jamie McDougall was upended.

The striker picked himself up and made no mistake with the spot kick.

Willington hit back in the second half, levelling the score from a corner, but whereas in earlier games Glaxo might have faded, the team battled on, matching the physical visitors to take a point from the game.

Bowes subsided to a 4-0 defeat at Shildon. At 1-0 down, Bowes were still in the game until the last quarter, when they shipped three more.

Saturday’s results leave Bowes and Glaxo level on seven points and points and nicely sets up this weekend’s derby at Tensfield (1.30pm kick-off).

Wear Valley Sunday League

IN the division two cup three of the four quarter-final ties – including both games involving dale sides – went to penalties.

At Barford Bridge, Gainford and Bishop Bay Horse played out a lively 3-3 draw during the 90 minutes.

Mark Harding, James Readman and Ben Moore were the scorers for the hosts.

In the penalty shoot-out, Gainford won through to the semi-finals 7-6, with all seven penalties scored and keeper Gary Dunn pulling off the vital save.

No such luck for Staindrop, who lost out 7-6 on penalties after their tie at Newton Aycliffe Gretna ended 4-4.

Staindrop were 3-0 up before Gretna fought back. Scorers for Staindrop were Sam Hicks, Lewis Robinson, Ben Goodfellow and Robert Bell.

Darlington RA defeated Kirk Merrington Half Moon on penalties and the semi-final line was completed when Newton Aycliffe Big Club won 3-1 against Newton Aycliffe Sports.

In the league, Toft Hill march majestically on. Goals from Matthew Tyrie, Jonathan Raine and Wayne King earned a 3-1 win against BH Blues and that makes it 11 out of 11.

Bowes’ division one cup quarter final against Witton Park was postponed, while West Auckland Club demolished West Auckland Tunns 8-1, Gareth McMahon hitting four, Decklin Moss a hat-trick and Daniel Wales added the other.

Other results

Division 1: BA Sports 5, Queen's Head 0.

Division 2: Red Lion 5, BA Snooker 0.

Division 1 Cup: Middlestone Moor 6, Shildon Elm Road 2; Coundon Miners 6, BA Pavilion 2.