SAFE HANDS: Rob Dixon is denied by the Darlington Deacon keeper in Saturday’s Alan Britton Memorial Cup tie. Bowes ran out 6-1 winners					              TM pic
SAFE HANDS: Rob Dixon is denied by the Darlington Deacon keeper in Saturday’s Alan Britton Memorial Cup tie. Bowes ran out 6-1 winners TM pic

FA Vase Second Round

Bishop Auckland....... 0

West Auckland Town ...1 (AET)

DAVID Dowson scored a dramatic penalty deep into extra-time to send West through to the third round of the FA Vase at the expense of local rivals Bishop Auckland.

West could have had the tie wrapped up within 90 minutes if Amar Purewal’s first half header was not ruled out for hand ball.

Instead, Dowson, who struck the match winner when the two sides met in August at the Wanted Stadium, produced late heroics once more and rifled home his spot-kick with just three minutes of extra time remaining.

Earlier, a number of chances fell to Gary Forrest’s side in quick succession. Firstly, Adam Mitchell’s strike from the edge of the area deflected off Ryan Robinson and was parried behind by Nick Liversedge.

Then, Anthony Bell’s blistering run from inside his own half saw him breeze past multiple Bishop players before he dragged his shot inches wide.

The hosts mustered their first real threat on 18 minutes when Kieron Parnaby flicked his header on for Kyle Fryatt to chase and following a tight angle, the latter dinked his effort against the foot of the post before Parnaby was denied with the follow up via Tom Flynn.

On 43 minutes, West thought they were ahead after Liam Hegarty’s right-sided cross was nodded home by Purewal, though much to the delight of Ian Chandler’s side, it was immediately ruled out following a suspected handball in the build-up.

After the break, the stalemate continued, but with two minutes remaining, Bishop nearly snatched a late goal through James Fairley, whose low shot from the right forced Flynn into a crucial block.

And at the other end, a last-gasp winner also eluded Forrest’s side as Liversedge prevented Mitchell courtesy of an outstretched hand and Hegarty’s vigorous effort cannoned off the bar.

With the contest evenly poised after the first period of extra-time, the hosts had a great opportunity just after the restart, but Fairley hesitantly squandered his chance and fired fractionally over the woodwork.

The miss proved costly as West were awarded a penalty when Daryll Hall brought down Dowson inside the area despite heated protests from the Bishop technical area.

The Bishop Auckland born forward stepped up and slotted past Liversedge to spark jubilant scenes among the visiting supporters.

West Auckland – Flynn, Hegarty, Dodds (c), Mitton, Harwood, Francis, A. Bell (Cobain, 118), Mitchell, Dowson, Purewal, Greenwood

Subs not used – Burnicle, Colquhoun, M. Bell, Connor, Hornsby

Referee: Barry Brookes

Attendance: 517

Harry Crowe

Crook and District League

BOWES were little troubled as they cruised to a 6-1 win against second division Darlington Deacon in the Alan Britton Memorial Cup at Tens Field on Saturday.

Traffic problems delayed several members of the Deacon side, who took to the pitch with just ten players.

Despite attempting to get men behind the ball, Ben Moore was quickly on the scoresheet for Bowes and despite the arrival of reinforcements, the hosts were quickly 3-0 up.

The deficit would have been greater but for the efforts of the Deacon keeper who pulled off some excellent saves, including a top effort to keep out Josh Bousfield’s well struck penalty.

Moore added a second, there were two for Paul Taylor and Rob Dixon also netted. The sixth came from an unfortunate own goal.

Danny Longstaff bagged Deacon's consolation.

The win sees Bowes progress to the last eight of the cup.

In the league, Middlestone Moor’s game against Glaxo Rangers was postponed.

This Saturday, Glaxo are due back in action with an away trip to Cockerton Club at Longfield Academy.

Bowes are at home to Crook Town Wanderers in the second round of the Durham Minor Cup, while Evenwood Town head to Willington WMC in the same competition.

Wear Valley Sunday League

THE dale’s two first division sides fell to narrow defeats this week.

Staindrop lost 3-2 against Coundon WMC, with Adam Lee-Shield and Jonathan Foster netting.

Toft Hill Three Tuns went down to the odd goal in seven against Bishop Auckland Juniors Pavilion. Nigel Beckley scored twice and Dean Cummins added Toft Hill’s third.

It was a much better morning for Gainford Cross Keys, who knocked eight past North Bitchburn Red Lion.

Shane Walker bagged a hat-trick, there were two apiece for Kyle Swankie and Alan Haycock and Mark Harding added the other.

Red Lion managed a consolation.

Stuart Laundy