MORNING GLORY: Barney’s victorious first XI who won the NYSD Premier Hundred competition against Marske on Saturday morning Pic: Mark Fletcher
MORNING GLORY: Barney’s victorious first XI who won the NYSD Premier Hundred competition against Marske on Saturday morning Pic: Mark Fletcher

Barnard Castle CC
BARNEY prepared for the biggest match in the club’s history by finishing the ordinary season in rousing style on Saturday.
On a highly unusual day, they comfortably defeated Marske in the morning to take the NYSD 100 trophy for the first time and in the early afternoon again easily won against the same opponents to confirm second place in the Premier Division.
With the 2nd XI winning against Darlington later on, narrowly missing promotion from Division 2, it was a superb way to finish a riveting season – or almost.
There remains just the little matter of the National T20 Club Final on September 19 against Tunbridge Wells at Northampton.
Hundreds of spectators from far and wide, including many members of the Barney diaspora are expected to make the trip.
It was important for Barney to complete NYSD proceedings on a high. There had been disappointment the previous weekend when a tense home draw against their old rivals Richmond, as night drew in at a packed ground, meant that Richmond took the title with a match to spare.
Barney had been up against it in the Premier 100 Final the previous day when rain brought a halt to the match against Marske. A replay was necessary and as the teams happened to be meeting in the last league fixture on Saturday it was proposed and rapidly agreed that they play the final first.
So it was that the players embarked at 7.30am for a 9.30am start at the Windy Hill Lane ground. They were followed shortly after by a score of inveterate supporters, who, like the team, never know then they are beaten.
It turned out to be a one-sided contest after Barney won the toss and decided to bowl amidst the threat of a sea fret.
Markse began with three boundaries in the first eight balls but the introduction of Rob Dixon instantly transformed matters.
With his first ball he had Tom Hewison caught on the mid-wicket boundary, with his eighth he repeated the trick by tempting Marske’s other professional, Adam Hickey, to try a similar pull.
That was about it for Marske, already relegated from the Premier Division and keen to salvage something from the summer. Wickets fell swiftly thereafter, another to Dixon, two each to Karl Carver, Finn Usher and Rob West who between them brought the middle order grinding to a halt.
A total of 74-9 from 100 balls was well within Barney’s range. They needed only 45 of their own allocation to acquire the runs. The pace accelerated after Josh Bousfield and James Quinn gave Barney a brisk start.
Both perished in the attacking cause which allowed Samarth Seth to show an array of blistering attacking shots before Richard Borrowdale finished off the match with 25 from seven balls including three sixes of increasing length.
There followed almost immediately the league match between the sides. With their league positions already decided – Marske bottom, Barney second – they decided to play it an unconventional manner.
With the national final in prospect, Barney felt they needed as much practice as possible at Twenty20. Marske agreed to bat only 20 overs, Barney agreed to chase whatever target was set in the same span.
In the event, Marske lasted for only 18 overs. Their innings was again undermined by that man Dixon who took three wickets in six balls, all bowled.
Barney used seven bowlers with Samarth Seth taking his first wickets for them. Marske were all out with 12 balls unused. The chase was relentless. By the end of the first set of 10 balls, Barney had reached 20 with James Clarkson and Josh Bousfield enjoying themselves. Finn Usher and Karl Carver finished it off in a flurry with 8.1 overs in hand.
NYSD Premier 100 Final
Marske 75 for 9 (100 balls, T Hewison 14, R Dixon 3-11,F Usher 2-6, K Carver 2-12, R West 2-19); Barney 79 for 2 (45 balls, S Seth 33no, R Borrowdale 25no, J Bousfield 15no) Barney won by 8 wkts
NYSD Premier Division
Marske 98 all out (18 overs, A Hickey 44, H Peirson 19, S Seth 3-9, R Dixon 3-14, F Usher 2-17); Barney 99 for 2 (11.5 overs, J Bousfield 39, K Carver 23no, J Clarkson 19, F Usher 15no) Barney won by 8 wkts

Barney II v Darlington II
THIS was a grand finish to the season for Barney seconds, with their ninth successive league victory. The sequence was interrupted only by a cancelled match against Marton which might have been crucial.
Marton took the second promotion spot in Division 2 with an average points total that was superior to Barney’s by only 0.28. If that was slightly disappointing it could not diminish a jot the splendour of their finish.
The centrepiece of their imposing total of 248-5 dec from 39.5 overs was James Alderson’s century. His first wicket partnership of 127 with Ian Swinburn needed only 121 balls and put Barney in control. Both rattled along. Alderson’s innings lasted 109 balls and contained 16 fours and two sixes. Swinburn has had a smashing season, with five fifties and two hundreds. Another 16 runs here and he would have had a total of 1000 for the season in all cricket.
Darlington were never really in the hunt for the runs. Four wickets down by the 23rd over, only a sixth wicket stand of 41 detained Barney for long. The home side used eight bowlers in keeping with the manner in which they play. Oscar Usher’s pace was recalled and he ended James Bendle’s determined stay and finished the match.
Barney 248 for 5 dec (39.2 overs, J Alderson 120, I Swinburn 58, R Watson 38, D Le Motte 2-24); Darlington 138 all out (42.4 overs, J Bendle 46, D Le Motte 26, O Usher 3-30, C McKnight 2-11, R Watson 2-34)
Barney won by 100 runs

Barney III v Seaton Carew II

The league season was brought to a pleasant close on Sunday by the club third XI. Although they have lost more than they have won the third team have provided fun and laughter throughout.

Six of them reached double figures in this final match against a Seaton Carew side aiming for their second successive Sunday league title. Daniel Watson and Joe Toulson started at electrifying pace with 40 runs from the first four overs.

The rate slowed marginally after their dismissals, both essaying something huge, but the middle order did well with John Lucas playing some well-fashioned shots.

Seaton were not to be denied, however, and never took their eyes off the prize with Brian Ryder’s leg spin proving potent. The swift start to their innings was briefly stalled by Watson’s accuracy but Dan Wilson finished matters in a hurry.

Barney 140 all out (29.3 overs, J Lucas 31, J Toulson 24, L Jopling 24, D Watson 21, B Ryder 6-34); Seaton Carew 144 for 3 (26 overs, J Fitzpatrick 49, D Wilson 46no, D Watson 2-23) Seaton won by 7 wkts