Woman almost ‘garrotted’ by power cable
By Nicky Carter - Reporter
A PARTIALLY sighted town resident was “almost garrotted” last week after walking into wire used to power Christmas lighting in Barnard Castle.
Sylvia King, who uses a white stick to get around, said she was lucky that she was walking slowly because her injuries could have been worse.
Ms King said she had just crossed the road outside the Co-op supermarket on Horsemarket, when the incident happened on Thursday, February 28.
She said: “I have severe sight loss and have to use my stick to get around. Because I look at the floor I didn’t see it and I was lucky it wasn’t an inch higher, or it would have got me in the Adam’s apple.”
Ms King said she didn’t know what had happened and couldn’t speak immediately afterward. The impact of the wire left her with a red mark to her neck and she is angry the incident has happened. She was examined by doctors later that morning and was told her throat would be bruised for a number of days. Ms King said she told police about the situation and would be making a complaint to Barnard Castle Town Council.
She said: “The wire was strung between the lamp post and the telephone exchange box and it was just hanging there. I crossed the road and turned left, then walked straight into it.
“It shouldn’t have been there. Someone should have removed it properly and not left it hanging.
“But I’m just pleased it was me and not an elderly person or someone else with poor vision. Imagine if someone with a guide dog had walked into it.”
Barnard Castle Police made the wire safe until it could be removed.
Cllr Roger Peat, from the Christmas Lights Committee, said: “On behalf of the Christmas Light Committee I want to apologise. I have been going around town checking to make sure all the wires were removed, but this was missed. It will be removed today (Monday, March 4).”