Family in quarantine after returning home from vacation in Spain
A BARNARD Castle family are in quarantine for 14 days after flying home the day after the Government brought in new regulations due to a spike in coronavirus cases in Spain.
Louise and David Finlay along with daughters Poppy and Daisy were enjoying the last moments of their seven-day break in the sun at the popular Costa del Sol resort of Benalmadena when they learned they would have to quarantine for a fortnight on their return.
Mrs Finlay, who works at GlaxoSmithKline, said: “It’s really disappointing that we have to quarantine.
“The first we knew about it was five days into the holiday.
“It was pure coincidence that we went back up to the room for a break and popped the television on to see what was on the news.
“At the bottom of the screen it was scrolling saying anyone in Spain as of July 24, would need to quarantine. It was quite a bit of a shock.”
The couple had been due to go to Portugal at Easter, but due to the coronavirus lockdown had to cancel and were given the option to rebook. After a lot of research, they chose the Costa del Sol for the break.
She added: “We felt really safe over there. When we flew in to Spain we were given QR codes, filled in questionnaires and had our temperatures taken. Even before we were allowed into the hotel, members of staff took our temperatures as well.
“We needed a break though – we were all getting fed up at looking at the same four walls. The weather was brilliant and we felt safe the whole way through.”
While on holiday Mrs Finlay was interviewed by several national radio stations regarding the shock news that the Government had removed Spain from the safe “air-bridged” countries list.
The family arrived back at Newcastle Airport on Sunday, July 24, knowing they would have to self-isolate at their home for the next 14 days.
Mrs Finlay said: “David has got jobs booked with Figgy Bus, but they’re being covered and one of the first jobs was to get our shopping in.”