Bridge wall to be repaired after parish council raised safety fears
A PARAPET wall which is part of a bridge on a popular walking route will now be taken down and repaired, County Durham officials confirmed, just months after saying it was not a danger.
Trees sprouting from cracks in the masonry on the west bank wall of the Tees footbridge, at Cotherstone, has caused it to lean significantly.
In March parish councillors, worried it could collapse and injure someone, requested repairs be carried out by Durham County Council but were told by officials there had been no movement to the wall.
However, at their latest meeting on Wednesday, May 11, councillors heard a further inspection had been carried out by Durham’s rights of way team and the wall is to be fixed.
An email from Mike Murden, Durham’s rights of way access officer, said: “The parapet wall has been inspected again just before Easter following further reports, but was deemed to be safe and not to have moved.
“I have been informed that works have now been ordered to dismantle the wall, remove the tree and root causing the issue and rebuilt, but this is not considered urgent.”
Parish clerk Judith Mashiter said: “He doesn’t say when it is going to be done.”