A walk to put a spring in your step
This week Kirsty Brien, a member of the outdoor team at The Hub, in Barnard Castle, takes us on a magnificent stroll above the Tees through rolling countryside with far reaching views up and down the dale
The Tees at Whorlton
1. Our walk starts at the church in the beautiful village of Whorlton. A stone stile takes you into the churchyard, following it to a gate and a fenced path through fields and towards the river. Descend the steps and then cross Whorlton Beck on some very sturdy stepping stones.
2. Following the river downstream, you pass through beautiful woodland and pa a myriad of rapids and waterfalls. Shortly after a couple of ruins on your left, follow the path back uphill through a pretty ivy and garlic covered path. At the gate at the top, turn right onto the Teesdale Way along the edge of open farmland with the Tees roaring in the valley below.
3. Stay on the Teesdale Way (beware, there are some areas that have suffered landslip recently) for 2km until the trees end and the path enters a wide field sloping down to the river. Keep on the path as it turns into a track towards Osmond Cross Farm.
4. Shortly before the farm, the Teesdale Way continues following the Tees downstream, but you need to look out for a stile on your left which crosses the field in front of the farm, when it meets a small track turn left and follow along the edge of fields (keep an eye out for the footpath signs)
5. When you reach Low Barn Farm, pass on the drive to the left over several cattle grids and continue on a well made track through farmland with great views to the West.
6. Just before reaching Whorlton, the track crosses Whorlton Beck again, with a lovely little waterfall and pool on the right.
7. Turn left onto the village green and back to the village church.
The TCR Hub is inviting families to enjoy a real treat this Easter with the TCR Sweetie Trail of Pure Imagination from April 8 to 10. There is also a virtual workshop: Make your Own Chocolate Bar with Moment’s Cafe at 5.30pm, on April 1. Visit www.tcrhub.co.uk for details and booking information.